It is crucial that your child has their teeth brushed at least twice a day. Until your child reaches eight years of age they won't have the proper dexterity to do a good enough job brushing their teeth on their own.
Bear in mind that completing the task is vital, regardless of your child's attitude. Just as you wouldn't let your child remain in a dirty diaper due to their reluctance to change it, you shouldn't permit food or plaque to linger on your child's teeth simply because they don't want to brush them.
There are times when it can be a fight, so try to make it fun. Like most things, routine is key.
Here are some tricks to get your kids excited about brushing:
- Let your toddler or child hold your toothbrush and brush your teeth while you hold their brush to brush their teeth. Usually, this is a fun way that they enjoy brushing.
- Ask your child to look in the mirror with their mouth open and pretend to see "sugar bugs", then proceed to brush.
- Purchase toothbrushes specifically designed to entertain children. Some connect via Bluetooth and kids can follow along on your phone while they brush.
- Offer small rewards for challenging toddlers after brushing – like stickers, reading a favorite book afterward, or holding a special toy.
- Use a separate toothbrush to clean the teeth of your child's beloved toys. Emphasize the significance of ensuring their toys have good dental hygiene. When toddlers witness how much their toys enjoy having their teeth brushed, they are often inclined to have their own teeth brushed as well.
- How you ask can allow them to feel some independence. You might ask “Which toothbrush would you like to use?” instead of “Are you ready to brush your teeth?” or “Do you want to brush your teeth?” They'll feel involved in the decision and be more likely to cooperate.
In case none of these techniques prove effective, you can consider an alternative to brushing by gently rubbing dental-grade gauze on your toddler's teeth. It is advisable to seek guidance from your dentist regarding a suitable fluoride toothpaste to utilize during this process.